Little Fictions is the seventh studio album by English rock band Elbow, released on 3 February 2017 on Polydor Records and Concord Records. Produced by pianist and keyboardist Craig Potter, the album is the band's first without founding drummer Richard Jupp, who had departed from the band the previous year. The album was preceded by the singles, "Magnificent (She Says)", "All Disco" and "Gentle Storm", and features collaborations with The Hallé Orchestra and their choir.
Little Fictions is the rather lovely sound of Guy Garvey falling in love. Written around the time of his wedding, it’s an album that swells and soars, bundling Elbow’s sound up with layers of extra warmth. But while songs like Head for Supplies and Kindling are among the prettiest they’ve written, this isn’t some saccharine record without edge. Opener Magnificent (She Says) is stately and bombastic, while the restless K2 explores Britain’s exit from the European Union. Little Fictions Elbow.
Little Fictions is the sound of a band doing what it's always done, and doing it with style.
Ever-reliable Mancunians serve up another album that’s as warming as the morning’s fourth whisky. It’s unfortunate that the cover art for Elbow’s seventh album reflects the cartoonish sci-fi aesthetic of 2016 video game No Man’s Sky, a near-endless virtual universe of 18 quintillion planets that many gamers found to be a repetitive and dreary façade of stratospheric enormity
Album Little Fictions. Little Fictions Lyrics. A muffled battle cry across the kitchen table Bridges up portcullis down and round the Tower of Babel I’m babbling in my dreams of blue berserkers coming at me Eyes and tongues and rusty knives And God almighty laughing at me From a fat boy fishing chair I wake to find you laughing there It’s nice to know how. much you care Decided I should spend my life with you. We protect our little fictions Like it’s all we are Little wilderness mementos But there’s only you and me here Fire breathing Hold tight Waiting for the original miracle.
The 12" jacket box features the album on heavyweight black vinyl and CD, 4 art cards, matchbox and exclusive Little Fictions book, plus an album download card. Matrix, Runout (Runout side A, hand etched): A/2. Matrix, Runout (Runout side B, hand etched): B/2. Other Versions (5 of 8) View All. Cat.
After Elbow’s 2014 The Take Off and Landing of Everything, singer Guy Garvey got married and drummer Richard Jupp left the band after 25 years. Such developments give their seventh album a mild air of reinvention. Songs are built around loops or percussive pianos; electric guitar motifs replace strummed acoustics and Garvey is audibly a man in love, although the results are more uplifting than gooey . Indeed, K2 ( I’m from a land with an island status, Makes us think everyone hates us ) brings a motorik groove to Brexit Britain, on as fine an album as Elbow have ever made.
This change is evident within Garvey's lyrics, which are filled with romantic images and hope, but the impressive thing about Little Fictions is how there is a shift within the group's music. That music is evident from the very sound of the record: it's lighter on the surface yet complex at its foundation, giving the illusion of a constantly moving, silvery shimmer. doing their best Velvet.
|1||Magnificent (She Says)||4:25|
|3||Trust The Sun||5:55|
|5||Head For Supplies||3:56|
|6||Firebrand & Angel||5:18|
- Record Company – Universal Music Operations Ltd.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Polydor Records
- Copyright (c) – Polydor Records
- Produced At – Blueprint Studios
- Mixed At – Blueprint Studios
- Recorded At – Blueprint Studios
- Recorded At – Gargunnock House
- Recorded At – Elbow Rooms
- Mastered At – Metropolis Studios
- Published By – Salvation Music Ltd.
- Published By – Warner/Chappell Music Publishing Ltd.
- Published By – Music Of Big Deal
- Published By – Removador Songs
- Published By – Words & Music
- Published By – P. E. Baker Music Ltd.
- Published By – Warner Chappell Music International Ltd.
- Glass Mastered At – Sony DADC
- Arranged By [Strings] – Guy Garvey (tracks: 1, 10), Mark Potter (tracks: 1), Nick Ingman (tracks: 1, 10)
- Backing Vocals – London Contemporary Voices (tracks: 4, 5, 6), The Hallé Ancoats Community Choir (tracks: 7)
- Backing Vocals [London Contemporary Voices] – Kate Westall (tracks: 4, 5, 6), Marit Røkeberg (tracks: 4, 5, 6), Sian O'Gorman (tracks: 4, 5, 6)
- Backing Vocals [The Hallé Ancoats Community Choir] – Alan Sykes (tracks: 7), Angela Cotton (tracks: 7), Catherine Kay (tracks: 7), Charles McDermott (tracks: 7), Christine Jeynes (tracks: 7), David Weatherall (tracks: 7), Deborah Foulkes (tracks: 7), Edgar Reyes (tracks: 7), Gail Meacham (tracks: 7), Gerald Cotterill (tracks: 7), Gwen Pugh (tracks: 7), Jack Haves (tracks: 7), Jennifer O'Neill (tracks: 7), Jim Battle (tracks: 7), Joanne Holt (tracks: 7), Joanne Zellweger (tracks: 7), Josephine Smith (tracks: 7), Judy Sykes (tracks: 7), Laura Roberts (tracks: 7), Linda Heslop (tracks: 7), Lindsay Hunter (tracks: 7), Lise Henderson (tracks: 7), Louise Hamilton (tracks: 7), Matthew Roughley (tracks: 7), Michelle McCumesky (tracks: 7), Patrick Carroll-Fogg (tracks: 7), Rebecca Horn (tracks: 7), Sam Rosen (tracks: 7), Stephanie Burke (tracks: 7), Sue Dunn (tracks: 7), Valerie Bell (tracks: 7), William Watremez (tracks: 7)
- Bass – Pete Turner
- Cello – Clare Rowe (tracks: 1, 10), David Petri (tracks: 1, 10), Jane Hallett (tracks: 1, 10), Nicholas Trygstad* (tracks: 1, 10)
- Design – Stuart Hardie
- Double Bass – Bea Schirmer* (tracks: 1, 10), Dan Storer* (tracks: 1, 10)
- Drum Programming – Craig Potter (tracks: 2, 7)
- Drums – Alex Reeves (tracks: 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10)
- Drums, Percussion – Alex Reeves (tracks: 1)
- Engineer – Danny Evans
- Guitar – Mark Potter
- Illustration – Robert Frank Hunter
- Keyboards – Craig Potter
- Mastered By – Tim Young
- Music By – Elbow
- Music Director [Choir] – Stuart Overington (tracks: 7)
- Performer [Kindling] – Craig Potter (tracks: 10)
- Producer, Mixed By – Craig Potter
- Score [Strings Scored By], Conductor [Strings Conducted By] – Nick Ingman (tracks: 1, 10)
- Strings – Hallé Orchestra (tracks: 1, 10)
- Viola – Chris Emerson (tracks: 1, 10), Julian Mottram (tracks: 1, 10), Martin Schäfer (tracks: 1, 10), Rob Criswell (tracks: 1, 10)
- Violin – Caroline Abbott (tracks: 1, 10), Hannah Smith (tracks: 1, 10), John Gralak (tracks: 1, 10), John Purton (tracks: 1, 10), Julia Hanson (tracks: 1, 10), Nicola Clark (tracks: 1, 10), Paulette Bayley (tracks: 1, 10), Philippa Hayes (tracks: 1, 10), Sarah Ewins (tracks: 1, 10), Tiberiu Buta (tracks: 1, 10), Victor Hayes (tracks: 1, 10)
- Violin [Leader] – Lyn Fletcher (tracks: 1, 10)
- Vocals – Guy Garvey
- Words By – Guy Garvey
NotesStandard jewel case with clear tray & 16-page lyrics booklet.
Produced and mixed at Blueprint Studios, Salford
Recorded at Blueprint Studios, Salford, Gargunnock House near Stirling and elbow rooms
Published by Salvation Music Ltd administered by Warner/Chappell Music Publishing Ltd.
'Firebrand & Angel' contains an interpretation of 'Like A River'. Written by Jim James. Published by Music of Big Deal/Removador Songs (BMI), administered by Words & Music, a division of Big Deal Music Group. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
'Little Fictions' embodies a master sample of 'We Free Kings' by Ginger Baker's Air Force licensed courtesy of Polydor Records a division of Universal Music Operations Ltd. Published by P E Baker (Music) Ltd. All Rights administered by Warner/Chappell Music International Ltd and a sample of 'Elephant Strut' by Maker licensed courtesy of Marco Jacobo. Used by persmission, All rights reserved.
Bridging melody in 'Firebrand & Angel' unwittingly stolen from My Morning Jacket's 'The River'. The use was granted by the endlessly generous Jim James. Thanks to Tim Thomas and all the staff at Blueprint.
Track durations not reflected on release.
℗ & © 2017 Polydor Records, a divisions of Universal Music Operations Limited.
Made in the EU.
Gerrit Van Der Veenlaan 4, 3743 DN, Baarn, Netherlands.
Some releases issued with black rectangular sticker with white text on shrinkwrap:
'The New Album From
Includes The Singles
Magnificent (She Says)
& Gentle Storm'
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Scanned): 602557227208
- Barcode (Text): 6 02557 22720 8
- Mastering SID Code (Variants 1, 2, 4): IFPI L555
- Mastering SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI L552
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 941Q
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 943T
- Mould SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI 945S
- Mould SID Code (Variant 4): IFPI 945T
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): 5722720 35 A00
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2, 4): 5722720 25 A00 Sony DADC [Universal Logo]
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): 5722720 12 A00 Sony DADC [Universal Logo]
- Rights Society: BIEM / SDRM
- Label Code: LC00309
|5723497||Elbow||Little Fictions (LP, Album)||Polydor||5723497||UK & Europe||2017|
|CRE00376||Elbow||Little Fictions (CD, Album)||Concord Records||CRE00376||US||2017|
|5734929||Elbow||Little Fictions (Box, Album, Dlx + LP, Album + CD, Album)||Polydor||5734929||UK||2017|
|CRE00377, CRE00424||Elbow||Little Fictions (LP, Album, Whi)||Concord Records, Concord Records||CRE00377, CRE00424||US||2017|
|CRE00377||Elbow||Little Fictions (LP, Album)||Concord Records||CRE00377||US||2017|