- Performer:Dajuin Yao
- Title:Cinnabar Red Drizzle
- Style:Abstract, Musique Concrète, Experimental
- Date of release:
- Size FLAC version1220 megabytes
- Size MP3 version1426 megabytes
- Size WMA version1522 megabytes
- Formats:ADX ASF AC3 VOC RA AAC WAV
Cinnabar Red Drizzle. Electronics – Dajuin Yao. 13:22. 2. Endless Frustration. 3. Words Without A Song. Composed By, Performer, Recorded By – Dajuin Yao. Design – Wénzi Concrète. Liner Notes – Dajuin Yao (tracks: 3), Jerlian Tsao (tracks: 4, 7), Tang Xianzu (tracks: 2, 6). Voice – Jerlian Tsao. Recorded 1998-1999 at Sounding Gourd Studio, Berkeley. Garden of Memory" was composed as music for dance for the 1999 International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Beijing, and premiered by the Beijing Modern Dance Company in October 1999.
Self-released under the home imprint Juxiang Music and later integrated to the catalog of Post-Concrète (as number 001), Dajuin Yao's Cinnabar Red Drizzle is a very good, fascinating album of electroacoustics. At the heart of each of the seven pieces reside literature, either oral (in the form of spoken mandarin) or written (the sounds of writing - script and typing).
Dajuin Yao is a sound artist, web artist, radio DJ, and music producer based in Berkeley, California. Dajuin holds a doctoral degree in art history from the University of California, Berkeley, and is the co-founder of the Chinese Computer Music Association. A pioneer in Chinese concrete poetry and web art, Dajuin's artistic interests have always been multi-dimensional. Dajuin's music works focus on cultural listening.
The Principle of Moments. ) Dajuin Yao. Cinnabar Red Drizzle. Octopus Drinking Song.
Tonight a hard hitting song from Karine Polwart's latest album Traces, the ethereal sound of the Finnish jouhikko, pianist Chris Burn plays the music of Henry Cowell and Michael Duke performs Sax Sounds III by Steven Galante. Plus a song without words by Mendelssohn alongside words without a song from Beijing's Dajuin Yao. Show less. Last on. Wed 12 Dec 2012 23:00. BBC Radio 3. More episodes.
Sound artist, Post-Concrete Records, Sound Art China, curator, producer, China Sound Unit, radio DJ, software designer 中國聲音大展，音樂具象唱片公司，前味電台，前衛音樂網. Sound artist, Post-Concrete Records, Sound Art China, curator, producer, China Sound Unit, radio DJ, software designer 中國聲音大展，音樂具象唱片公司，前味電台，前衛音樂網.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Cinnabar Red Drizzle
Electronics [Algorithmic Poetry Programming] – Dajuin Yao
|3||Words Without A Song||4:25|
|4||Green Sofa Story||7:05|
|5||Writing Of Sounds Of Writing||19:03|
|6||Warbling Orioles Returning||6:12|
|7||Garden Of Memories||14:02|
- Composed By, Performer [Real-time & False-time Controllers], Recorded By – Dajuin Yao
- Design – Wénzi Concrète
- Liner Notes [Text By] – Dajuin Yao (tracks: 3), Jerlian Tsao (tracks: 4, 7), Tang Xianzu (tracks: 2, 6)
- Voice – Jerlian Tsao
NotesRecorded 1998-1999 at Sounding Gourd Studio, Berkeley
"Garden of Memory" was composed as music for dance for the 1999 International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Beijing, and premiered by the Beijing Modern Dance Company in October 1999
1. pipa (originally an improvisation piece written for real-time computer-generated poetry, narrator, pipa, and live computer)
2. Kunqu operatic phrase and traditional ensemble music
3. poem read in winter rain
4. text read by author
5. firecrackers and sounds of writing: writing on a laptop computer, writing on paper, taking calligraphy rubbings from 2000-year-old steles, discussions on writing, etc.
6. a single poetic phrase taken from the 16th-century Kunqu opera "Peony Pavilion"
7. author reading her story set in 12th-century china
(all vocal parts and all of tracks 4, 6 & 7 were made entirely from spoken Mandarin - no singing was involved)