- Title:Check The Winner (The Original Pantomine Instrumental Collection 1970-74)
- Style:Roots Reggae
- Date of release:
- Size FLAC version1960 megabytes
- Size MP3 version1953 megabytes
- Size WMA version1438 megabytes
- Formats:APE TTA VOC AC3 MP1 XM MOD
3. –Glen Brown & Joe White. Glen Brown At The Crossroads. Get Up. 8. –Glen Brown.
Check the Winner is especially strong in that it most clearly demonstrates Brown's genius in the studio; on tunes like "Mr. Baldhead Aitken," "2 Wedden Skank," and especially the immortal "Dirty Harry," Brown fashions spare but melodically rich tunes and supports them with dense, rubbery basslines and snappy percussion. The fact that King Tubby manned the mixing board for these singles is icing on the cake.
Glen Brown - "The Winner". 3. Glen Brown & Joe White - "Merry Up". 4. Ron Wilson & Lennox Brown - "Scatter-Light Rock". 5. Glen Brown - "Pantomine Rock". 6. Glen Brown - "Glen Brown At Cross Roads". 7. Ron Wilson - "Get Up". Glen Brown - "No More Slavery". 9. Glen Brown - "Crisp As A Ball". 10. Tommy McCook (Bobby Elis, Don Drummond Jr & Glen Brown) - "Determination Skank".
Glen Brown - The Winner 02:46. Glen Brown - Scatter-Light Rock 02:52. Glen Brown - Glen Brown At Cross Roads 03:49. Glen Brown - Get Up 02:24. Glen Brown - Determination Skank 03:40. Glen Brown - Sunshine Showdown 03:52. Glen Brown - More Music 02:27.
Check the Winner: The Original Pantomime Instrumental Collection 1970-1974. He never had enough money to release his singles in quantity, and the bulk of his output is encapsulated on three CDs released in the . on the Greensleeves label in 1989, and then on Shanachie in the . in 1990: Check the Winner, a collection of instrumental tracks; Dubble Attack, a program of deejay performances on those same rhythms; and. Boat to Progress, a collection of vocal tracks based on the same instrumental material. The three excellent discs should be considered companion titles.
Glen Brown - Scatter-Light Rock 02:52. Digital English Presents Glen Brown: Past, Present & Future - Glen Brown. Glen Brown: Boat To Progress - The Original Pantomine Vocal Collection 1970-74 - Glen Brown. Glen Brown: Dubble Attack - The Orginal Dee-Jay Intrumental Collection 1972-74 - Glen Brown. Music from the East - Glen Brown.
Pantomine Rock - Glen Brown. No More Slavery - Glen Brown. item 2 Glen Brown - Check The Winner -Glen Brown - Check The Winner. item 3 Glen Brown - Check the Winner -Glen Brown - Check the Winner. item 4 Glen Brown - Check The Winner -Glen Brown - Check The Winner.
Check The Winner is the ultimate Instrumental selection for the producer legend Glen Brown including the Jamaican Merry Up, one of the best rhythms ever laid in Dirty Harry and surely one of the greatest organ solos ever recorded on No More Slavery, all originally released on Glen Brown s jamaican label Pantomime in the early 70ies. Here are 18 tracks of highly desirable reggae revives from the most collectable label of them all engineered by King Tubby. Remastered with expanded sleeve notes
|A1||–Tommy McCook & Richard Hall*||Dirty Harry|
|A2||–Glen Brown||The Winner|
|A3||–Glen Brown & Joe White||Merry Up|
|A4||–Ron Wilson* & Lennox Brown||Scatter Lite Rock|
|A5||–Glen Brown||Pantomine Rock|
|A6||–Glen Brown||Glen Brown At The Crossroads|
|A7||–Ron Wilson*||Get Up|
|A8||–Glen Brown||No More Slavery|
|A9||–Glen Brown||Crisp As A Ball|
|B1||–Bobby Ellis, Don Drummond Jr., Glen Brown||Determination Skank|
|B2||–Glen Brown||Sunshine Showdown|
|B3||–Glen Brown||Sgt. Crackers|
|B4||–Tommy McCook & Ron Wilson*||More Music|
|B5||–Glen Brown||School Call|
|B6||–Glen Brown||2 Wedden Skank|
|B7||–Glen Brown||Mitchville Rock|
|B8||–Bobby Aitken||Mr. Baldhead Aitken|
|B9||–Glen Brown||High Holborn St. Song|
- Distributed By – BMG
- Distributed By – Jetstar
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Pantomine Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Greensleeves Records Ltd.
- Pressed By – P.R. Records Limited
- Published By – Greensleeves Publishing Ltd.
- Recorded At – Randy's Studio
- Recorded At – Dynamic Sounds Studios
- Recorded At – Federal Records Studio
- Recorded At – Harry J's Recording Studio
- Recorded At – Joe Gibbs Studio
- Mixed At – King Tubby's Studio
- Mixed At – Federal Records Studio
- Mixed At – Dynamic Sounds Studios
- Mastered At – The Town House
- Alto Saxophone [Alto Sax] – Lennox Brown
- Bass – Aston 'Family Man' Barrett*, Jackie Jackson , Lloyd Parks, Robbie Shakespeare, Val Douglas
- Bass, Guitar – Jeffrey Chung*
- Compiled By – Chris Lane
- Design – Tony McDermott
- Drums – Carlton 'Santa' Davis*, Carlton Barrett, Lloyd Adams, Lloyd Knibbs, Mikey Boo*, Winston Grennan
- Guitar – Ranchie*, Eric Frater, Hux Brown, Lloyd Willis*, Mikey Chung, Ranny Bop*
- Keyboards [Keys] – Ansel Collins, B.B. Seaton, Earl Lindo*, Gladstone Anderson, Winston Wright
- Keyboards [Keys], Melodica – Joe White
- Keyboards [Keys], Melodica, Guitar, Percussion – Glen Brown
- Liner Notes – Ian McCann
- Mixed By – King Tubby
- Percussion – Bongo Herman, Denzil Laing, Skully*, Uzziah 'Sticky' Thompson*
- Producer – Glenmore Brown*
- Tenor Saxophone [Tenor Sax] – Karl Bryan, Richard 'Dirty Harry' Hall*
- Tenor Saxophone [Tenor Sax], Flute – Tommy McCook
- Trombone [Tmbone] – Carl Masters, Don Drummond Jr., Ron Wilson*, Vin Gordon
- Trumpet – Bobby Ellis
Notes℗ 1969-74 Pantomine Records
This compilation ℗ 1989 Greensleeves Records Ltd.
Published by Greensleeves Publishing Ltd.
Made in England
Distributed by BMG & Jet Star
Recorded at Randy's Dynamics, Federal, Harry J's & Joe Gibbs Studios.
Mixed by King Tubby at King Tubby's, Federal & Dynamics.
Center labels credit the subtitle (incorrectly) as: "The Original Pantomine Instrumental Collection 1972-74"
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Runout, side A): GREL 603 A1 Townhouse PR-P
- Matrix / Runout (Runout, side B): GREL 603 B1 PR-P
|VPGSRL 603||Glen Brown||Check The Winner (The Original Pantomine Instrumental Collection 1970-74) (LP, Comp, RE)||Greensleeves Records||VPGSRL 603||UK||2016|
|VPGSCD603||Glen Brown||Check The Winner (The Original Pantomine Instrumental Collection 1970-74) (CD, Comp, RE)||Greensleeves Records||VPGSCD603||UK||2016|
|Shanachie 47007||Glen Brown||Check The Winner (The Original Pantomine Instrumental Collection 1970-74) (Cass, Comp)||Shanachie||Shanachie 47007||UK||1989|
|GRELCD 603, 47007||Glen Brown||Check The Winner (The Original Pantomine Instrumental Collection 1970-74) (CD, Comp)||Greensleeves Records, Shanachie||GRELCD 603, 47007||UK||1990|